stitchrat: (Default)
[personal profile] stitchrat
I was intending to have two of my Shilo costumes done by tomorrow, warranting a nice, long post about both of them and their processes. Instead, one emergency text and a change in plans tomorrow means I won’t have the second costume done for a bit (“a bit” being Wednesday), but I figured I’d still make a post concerning the one outfit I have done.

Shilo’s “Zydrate Anatomy” outfit is probably my favorite in the whole movie simply because it is so much like something I would actually wear. Also because purple is my favorite color to wear (my actual favorite color is green—just so you know).



I started the outfit with the jacket. The original jacket is a muted grey-purple with a light design that you cannot see in the actual film. It had a small peplum on the back—probably my favorite detail. I opted to start the jacket using grey corduroy. I had actually found a fabric with a nearly identical print to the original in a pale tan, but it was too delicate to dye. The corduroy had the right thickness and a nice amount of texture to make the jacket, while not perfectly screen-accurate, suitable. It also took to the purple dye just enough to be the exact color I needed.

I drafted the pattern entire myself, going off the photos on the repo_costumes photobucket. Unlike a lot of the sewing I do, I did not base it off a pattern I had previous done, or a piece of clothing I already owned. Unfortunately I managed to make the sizing too large, misinterpreting my seam allowance, but I managed to tailor it in to fit me nicely, although not as tightly at Alexa Vega’s fit hers in the movie. I also forgot the pockets, a detail I plan on adding at a later date.



The skirt came next, another self-made pattern going off the repo_costumes photobucket. The fabric is 100% purple cotton bottomweight, and is fairly soft to the touch, yet stiff enough to hold the pleats right. This was actually the easiest of the costume, finished in a comparatively short time. It’s still lacking in terms of the bottom lace, which I didn’t buy enough of, but I have intentions of fixing this the moment I can get out to the fabric store.



The final piece of this was the shirt—a high-collared, white number with lace across the front. I had done a button-down shirt with a similar high collar earlier and altered the pattern for my purposes of this. Also, instead of having four darts (two in the front, two in back), I opted only to use two in the front to make it somewhat easier to pull the shirt on and off, with only the zipper in the back half unzippered.

The main downside to the shirt is the lace—for some reason Joann Fabrics had no white lace of the right size, and AC Moore only had very cheap lace, so I had to use the cheap kind. Surprisingly, however, it is not itchy, cheap lace. I plan on replacing it once I have access to the right kind, as well.

I plan on getting some photos of me in the actual costume up in a little. Until this, have a shot of me in my Shilo wig, with the jacket and shirt:

Ellie Illusive (whose real name might be something like Elle Jaclyn, depending on who you ask) has a horrible hobby that often involves her running around fabric stores complaining about how none of the blue fabric is Alice-blue. She's deeply in love with steampunk, corsets, wayward Victorian-girl clothing, and spends half of her time pretending she's Shilo from Repo! the Genetic Opera for a Jersey Shore shadowcast.

This blog if for her sewing adventures, since her personal life is kind of boring. Posts may be a little photo-heavy at times.

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Most Popular Tags